Sunday, November 20, 2011

Turkey Chili



Posted by Picasa

I love chili, but make my own healthy version. It is simple and can contain whatever you happen to have on hand. Virginia brought by some produce from her CSA and there was a giant head of kale in it. Kale is one of the healthiest things on earth that you can eat. 

One cup of kale contains 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 15% of the daily requirement of calcium and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 40% of magnesium, 180% of vitamin A, 200% of vitamin C, and 1,020% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.

Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients.

Carotenoids and flavonoids are the specific types of antioxidants associated with many of the anti-cancer health benefits. Kale is also rich in the eye-health promoting lutein and zeaxanthin compounds.

Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw.

So...I added kale to my chili and you really couldn't even tell!


24 ounces extra lean ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, chopped
1 large bunch of kale, very finely chopped 
3 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes (you can use flavored ones, or fresh if it is tomato season)
2 cups chicken broth or water
4 Tbsps chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 small can or jar or fresh jalapenos, chopped

I start with extra lean ground turkey and saute it until no longer pink. I then add the remaining ingredients (except the kale) and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add the kale in the last few minutes, continue simmering until kale is tender. As with all vegetables, the less you cook them, the healthier they are for you.

I don't add beans, but you could if you like. 

I like to serve it alone, with a big dollop of fat free Greek yogurt, and fresh cilantro on top. A good squirt of hot sauce and I am a happy camper!

I will divide this into 6 serving portions, package into ziplock bags and freeze it for a quick meal after work.

Do try adding kale, it is the "Queen of Greens", filling and will taste great.

It feels good to feel good!

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to do a post on the tortillas but I'm just so busy. I haven't even posted on my challenge. Ugh. I will try to do it tomorrow. The girls and I are flying home to AZ to visit my family for the holiday this week.

    Hope you have a fantastic holiday, Mama! So miss our interaction. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sakura- I know you are super busy. Have a wonderful holiday with your family! Its easy to eat paleo when travelling at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no kale in Barcelona. At least, not that I know of... maybe I need to look around more. What there is a lot of is Swiss Chard: do you think that would do the trick here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Derek, Swiss chard doesn't have the vitamins, minerals and roughage that kale does. Do you have any rough, curly, tough greens? That would be best. Otherwise, Swiss chard would be a fine filler, but it wouldn't need to be heated long at all...

    ReplyDelete