Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Shoulders and Boxing



Fridays at noon I meet Roy and we are training shoulders. The last couple weeks we have done some boxing too- that is a really good workout! I have a new respect for my son.


First we did seated barbell shoulder press, the back is straight up on the bench, no incline or decline. We are doing 1 1/4 presses, so bring the bar down very slowly all the way to the chest, then up 1/4 of the way, back down and then power all the way up.


You cannot push as much weight this way, I think I had 75 pounds total, 5 sets of 8 or 9. I lost count. Roy has it all written down though.


Then over to the dumbbells, un supported dumbbell press, bringing them all the way down to get a good stretch in the shoulders, then power up. I started with 25 pound dumbbells and ended with 30. 4 sets of 10.


Then lateral raises, three different weights to hit all the different muscle fibers (slow twitch to fast twitch). He has some micro weights that we use but I don't have those at my gym.


I think it was this: 8 reps at 12.5 pounds; 12 reps at 10 pounds; 20 reps at 5 pounds. 4 sets of this, the shoulders do really start to burn.


Then it was boxing! 3 rounds of 3 minutes with a 1 minute rest in between. Punches, jabs, hooks, and I have to duck when he shouts duck and swings at me. I am pretty good at ducking, not so good at the upper cuts...


I was breathing hard! He would move around the room, pads on hands moving his hands so I could keep throwing punches. I have to do this more often!


When I got home that night David was commenting on my size, I have gotten a bit larger in the last couple months. He is very supportive, but always wants to make sure I have a good idea of what I actually look like, since my own vision can get a bit skewed. Here is what he said:


"When you have dieted down for a competition, you look like a Wide Receiver.
When you start putting on a little weight, you look more like a Running Back. But you know, you have put a lot of weight on now and you are starting to look a little like an Offensive Lineman."


Hmm, time to cut back on the food?




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment