Friday, November 18, 2011

Kung Pao Chicken

This is another recipe from the Clean Eating magazine "Comfort Foods" and I of course altered it.  David was at a meeting and he doesn't care for Chinese much, so that's what I made. You know: When the cats away the mice will play...


I increased the greens and spices and I eliminated the rice (I had it with Romano beans instead), although my son had it with rice. 


Delish!


Cooper loved it! I went to bed before David came home, but when I woke up at 4:00 a.m. he rolled over and said "that Kung Pao Chicken was delicious!" and he fell back to sleep.


David liked this because it was light and fresh, it didn't have a thick coating of a sauce, it had more of a light meat jus. This takes less than a half hour from start to finish. If you are having rice, that will take longer than anything else to cook! I will be making this again soon.


(This served three of us)


12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup raw, unsalted peanuts
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsps low sodium soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsps grated ginger

First chop and mince your ingredients as it will cook very quickly. Heat the oil in a skillet or wok over medium high heat and add pepper flakes, chicken and peanuts, cook 5 minutes stirring frequently.

Posted by Picasa

Stir in 1/4 cup water, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, green onions and vinegar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.

Done!

Serve over rice or along side vegetables of your choice. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Kung Pao Chicken. This will definitely be the next dish I try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it, loved it! And once again, Carlos loved it as well. Well, he didn't eat the peanuts, but there's always something he's going to shove to the side of the plate, so that is par for the course! Of course, since I knew he would be eating it I had to take out the chili, but I shall make it for myself in the future and so spicy that it will burn the skin off my palate! Thanks, Kristy! This one is keeper.

    ReplyDelete