Saturday, November 26, 2011

Boxing


I asked Cooper if he had any gloves he didn't need, and he gave me these. They are 12  ounce gloves. I like boxing, it is a really good cardiovascular workout and good for shoulder development.


It's also important to vary your training so your mind and body don't get lazy. I finished my lifting, it was shoulder day, and then I walked down to the basketball courts located in the gym.


I set my gymboss to 3 minutes on, 1 minute rest and approached the heavy bag.




I quickly found out that 3 minutes by myself slamming that bag was too much, so I changed it to 2 minutes, and thought I would try the speed bag a bit too. This is much harder than it looks, the darn bag just doesn't cooperate, it just ends up spinning around in circles. I know this will take quite a bit of practice. 


Back to the heavy bag, there are two so I alternate between the two, moving my feet, changing my stance, concentrating on starting the power from my hips and through the shoulders, not a fling of the fist like a "girl".




I am out of breath, I have only gone 5 two minute rounds and 2 on the speed bag, this is going to be a challenge I can see. But I will do this on my cardio days and weekends and days off, which means I have lots of time to perfect my skills.


When I tell Cooper about this he laughs at me, he has been doing it for years. He said I don't need the speed bag- speed bags are stupid. I question him and he looks me in the eye and says "Mom, there is not one speed bag at AKA".....oh, OK then, screw the speed bag!


When I went to see Roy the other day he asked if I had trained already that day- my shoulders were pumped. Nope, but I had boxed in the morning, and the effects are still evident.


If your gym has heavy bags, I suggest you give this a try, I am loving it!







7 comments:

  1. I have not done boxing yet but I really want to add that into my workouts. It looks so bad ass and I know it's a great workout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Kristy,

    My kids bought me my own Everlast bag exactly like the one you show here in your post for Mother's Day about 6 years ago.. I love it! I love to go outside and just punch away for 15-20 min. You do have to take breaks between punching, but it does get easier the more you do it.
    Hope your holiday weekend is going great =)

    Debra
    http://islandgurl1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, Do it if you can! It is amazing! The feeling of power is like nothing I have experienced before. Let me know when you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra, What great kids you have! You must have it in a tree? I wanted to buy one for the garage and my husband said it might pull the raters down! ha ha 15 to 20 minutes is a long time! I have worked up to 10, but I have no doubt I will improve quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha Kristy, Yes, I sure do. Funny other people thought it to be a strange gift, but my kids know me and knew I would love it. I do love it & it's great to just go out for my cardio and punch the hell of the bag.
    My bag is in my garage and yes, you do have to hang in a solid area or it will eventually break. Mine did break and fall a few months ago, and I just had my son in law hook it back up in one of the sturdy beams so it will not break again. I missed it these past months and had to get help to get it hung back up. My son and I tried but didn't have the correct tools so I had to get my son in law up here to hang in correctly.
    My upper body had a little break from my boxing cardio, but they will soon feel the wrath of my 15-20 min. of stress relief cardio. Just put your ear phones/music on Kristy and punch away.. Time will fly and you will see you have been punching for 15-20 min. You will love it!
    Keep me posted =)

    Debra
    http://islandgurl1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, my gym does not have one of these but my therapist suggested I engage in this activity as a way of dealing with my more... aggressive emotions.

    Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete